Thursday, August 29, 2019

PV Sindhu’s new Korean coach says: Not to make money, but produce champions

Get Daily Updates In Email

PV Sindhu’s new Korean coach says: Not to make money, but produce champions

The 1994 Hiroshima Asian Games gold medallist, Kim Ji-hyun from Korea was appointed to coach PV Sindhu.  She earlier coached former world No. 2 Sung Ji-hyun.  PV Sindhu thanked her new Korean coach Kim Ji-hyun after her historic gold at BWF World Championships.  She said that she is enjoying her stint in India and that she is focused on producing more champions as Sindhu than on earning money.

On Sunday, Sindhu defeated Japan’s Nozomi Okuhara to become the first Indian to become a world champion in the sport.  After winning the gold medal in Basel, Sindhu thanked her new coach Kim Ji-hyun for the kind of coaching she got under the guidance of the Korean coach.

She said, “I really focused this time and of course now I have a new coach — Miss Kim. I’ve been training under her for the past couple of months and certainly I have improved a lot under her. I am really very thankful to her.”

Kim aims at producing champions

Kim was appointed to train PV Sindhu in April this year.  It has been just a couple of months she joined hands with Sindhu and the Gold medal came home.  In an interview, Kim said, “I am not here to make money, but to produce champions.”

She further said, “I would have left my job here (with Sports Authority of India at the Gopi Chand Badminton Academy) if I were not enjoying it. And, also I make it a point that every one of my trainees enjoys their role.”

She said that Sindhu played a perfect game against Okuhara.  She is the same opponent that had defeated Sindu in the 110-minute game final in 2017. Kim said, “I am over the moon definitely after the World championship gold. Now the emphasis will continue on improving on every aspect – physical, mental and skills as always – for you cannot afford to relax in the run-up to Olympics.”

Sindhu defeated Okuhara 21-7, 21-7 in just 38 minutes to win her first gold medal at the world championship.  She participated in six matches at the BWF World Championships, and won 2 silver, 2 bronze and 1 gold medal.

Published by Neetu Panwar on 29 Aug 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment